Comments from teachers, students, principals and counselors about these workshops and why these workshops matter.
As part of the ongoing mission of the nonprofit Maine College Circle to help Maine students get more information about their opportunities in higher education, and at a younger age . . .
Maine College Circle offers college workshops for all interested school districts. In the past fifteen years, these workshops have reached over 60,000 Maine students, mostly in grades 3 – 8, in 119 Maine communities.
Depending upon the grade level, these workshops will discuss:
- What, when, where, and why college is?
- Why all students can go to college. Why we think all should consider it. And, why we hope all will continue their education beyond high school.
• The benefits of a good college education.
- College majors, which ones you might like, and careers beyond college.
- Which college or colleges might best match your current interests?
• How much college costs and what you can do to make it more accessible, more affordable, and more rewarding?
We hope that these workshops will help students gain a better understanding of what college is. We hope to raise their aspirations for higher education and the careers they can create for themselves beyond college. Workshops are usually scheduled for 50 - 60 minutes. Two combined classrooms of 40 or so students often seems to work best, but larger assemblies can be done.