Future of Maine
College Aspirations Initiative
- Equal and early access to information on educational opportunity,
- To build early aspirations,
- And, to emphasize the value of effort to create future opportunities,
- In a long-term, community-engaged initiative to build a brighter future in Maine communities.
Congratulations to the 282 2012-2013 Future of Maine College Aspirations Scholarship Recipients! And, congratulations to their teachers and communities for their great support. The list of recipients.
Congratulations to the twelve Maine elementary schools recognized for their leadership in building early aspirations! The 12 schools recognized by Maine College Circle and the Perloff Foundation.
1. College Aspirations Workshops for students in grades 3 - 6, along with accompanying posters, college lists, and on-going answers to student questions via email. For over fifteen years, these workshops have reached over 60,000 students in 115 Maine communities. Workshops discuss with students in grades 3 – 6 the following: what, where, why is college; an opportunity for absolutely everyone; 390 great college options for Maine students; 240 great college majors for Maine students; preparing for college and turning a dream into a plan; career aspirations beyond college; and the value of effort.
2. $100 College Aspirations Scholarships awarded to students in grades 3 - 6, based on an essay on college and career aspirations. Scholarships are locally-funded and redeemable upon enrollment in any post-secondary educational program or for college application or college aspirations. Over 800 awarded in the past six years.
3. A community scholarship ceremony to award scholarships and celebrate the recipients.
4. A VIP program to recognize scholarship recipients and other deserving applicants. VIP's will receive VIP treatment whenever they visit participating higher education institutions and will receive benefits at supporting local businesses.
5. The Future of Maine Initiative Initiative is an initiative to promote student initiative and to help students recognize its value to them and their community and their future. It is an opportunity for students who have already taken the initiative to make the extra effort that caused them to receive a Future of Maine College Aspirations Scholarship.
6. “College” t-shirts for all VIP's and an annual college campus visit.
7. Maine College Advisor Weekly. A regular, email newsletter responding to questions about college from students, teachers, parents, and community members.
8. Distribution of "College Crosswords" to engage students in exploration of the opportunity of higher education, with the option to participate in the Maine College Knowledge Bowl.
Maine College Circle
251 Main Street
Yarmouth, Maine 04096